It’s really useful to have a couple of simple grounding exercises under your belt, for when things get a bit stressful.
One way of achieving this is to focus on your physical body and surroundings, using your senses.
- Describe 5 things you see in the room.
- Name 4 things you can feel (“my feet on the floor” or “the air in my nose”)
- Name 3 things you hear right now (“traffic outside”)
- Name 2 things you can smell right now (or 2 smells you like)
- Name 1 good thing about yourself
Repeat the 5 steps more than once if needed.